How to make a simple medical mask from fabric
What you need
1. Elastic cord or 2 thin elastic bands for hair;
4. A handkerchief made of cotton fabric measuring approximately 50 x 50 cm (you can use just a piece of fabric).
Watch the video on the topic
How to make a medical mask
If you are using a cord, cut two identical strips about 25 cm long from it. Tie the ends of each of them with a strong double knot.
Fold the handkerchief in half, placing the lower part on the top.
Then fold the fabric in half lengthwise again.
Fold the handkerchief again in the same way to make a narrow strip.
Put the details of the cord or elastic band on the fabric on both sides.
Fold the left side of the fabric to the center of the strip, not reaching the other strap.
Put the right part of the strip on top. Both straps should be on the folds of the fabric.
Open one side of the fabric and put the other inside.
The mask is ready. It consists of two parts of the fabric. After you put it on, gently lower the back part down on your chin.
What to consider
World Health Organization it is recommended to wear a mask in two cases:
1. If you cough or sneeze.
2. If you are healthy but have close contact with a person with these symptoms.
No mask can protect you completely. But it will reduce the risk of infection if you wear it correctly, as well as regularly wash your hands with soap and water or treat with an alcohol-containing antiseptic.
The material from which you plan to make a mask must be:
1. Breathable. This is necessary so that you can breathe freely, and the face under the mask does not sweat.
2. Not rude. First, the rough fabric will irritate the skin. And secondly, it will not be able to repeat the shape of the face, that is, the mask will not fit tightly to the skin.
Try not to touch the mask while it is on your face. If you have to do this, be sure to wash your hands before and after.
As soon as the mask becomes raw (usually within 2-3 hours), replace it with a new one. Ideally, you should change the mask immediately after you have sneezed or coughed inside it. To do this, you should make several masks and carry them in a pack with you.
Fabric masks should be thoroughly washed in hot water with washing powder. It is not yet known at what temperature SARS‑CoV is destroyed‑2. Its closest relative SARS-CoV, which causes atypical pneumonia, died when heated to 56 °C within 15 minutes. Therefore, the hotter the water, the better.
After washing, when the mask is dry, iron it with a hot iron. The well-ironed accessory will be softer and will sit on the face tighter, without folds.