5 ways to interrupt an inappropriate conversation
One day, I took advantage of a two-minute pause while talking to my girlfriend. You will never guess that I could have done something worth writing about in an article. I pretended to fall asleep, and I didn't have to continue this exhausting conversation any further. It is a pity that this method will not always look plausible, but I liked it more than the previous ones.
I was really tired of listening, the topic was not impressive, the conversation dragged on and was not at the right time. It was very useful for me to lay low and take a break from it, at the same time from the whole day. I managed to get used to the role as much as possible, after a while I really fell asleep.
In the morning, I realized that my decision looked very comical from the outside. What better way to show that you're bored than this? I don't know, do you? If Yes, please share it in the comments!
Watch the video on the topic
And what to do when it's too early to sleep, the conversation is still in full swing, and your ears are already swollen? Here are some tips:
1. Decide what is bothering you more now: the topic of the conversation or the person himself with his chatter. If it's a topic, try changing it at the first successful moment by asking an open question after the word "by the way". Support the answer, ask more questions.
2. If it's the person who is broadcasting, try to distract them. "Oh, you have something boiling over there" or "wow, it's half past seven, we're late", even if it's 19.20. Usually this "knocking" does not help to stop the burning desire of the interlocutor to end the conversation, but it will untie your hands, you can run away from the interlocutor yourself, for example, to another room.
3. Stop giving feedback. Even neutral "uh-huh", "Aha", "clear"," clear " give a signal that you are still being listened to. If the chattering extrovert stops receiving feedback from the interlocutor within five minutes, then he will probably think that it is time to finish on his own. There is a psychological point here, which, for sure, has already been described in the relevant literature. I don't know which one, but the conclusions were made on the basis of many years of personal practice.
4. And it happens that your thoughts have already run away from the conversation, while the extrovert creates noise and prevents you from thinking. You may even hear snatches of a story that you are not interested in right now. Catch on to the first detail in the conversation and directly tell the extrovert that you would like to hear it. For example: "Yes, Maria is always like this, I think I've already heard about her this week, let's not so often, please." You listened, you tried, but you honestly admitted that you don't need to anymore. You must be understood.
5. Be busy. Distracting a person is bad form. It's a pity that not everyone understands this. If you find someone who understands, you're in luck.
Sometimes we realize very late that we are tired of talking. Try not to bring it to this point. Learn to feel the previous stage so that there is time for action. Do not make yourself irritated, as this can lead to uncontrolled outbursts of anger towards the interlocutor.